What: Inter-Pacific Exchange
When: June 30th to July 13th 2019
Where: HONG KONG
As many of you may know, every two years the Hong Kong Pony Club participates in the the Inter-Pacific Exchange (IPE), a cultural and competitive exchange that rotates host countries each time. Next year is Hong Kong's turn to host the IPE and we will soon be starting the process to choose a team to represent the HKPC. For those who don't know about the IPE, here is a brief introduction.
The Inter-Pacific Exchange is a prestigious biennial rally where five countries contest the Nations Cup. The competing countries are Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, New Zealand and the United States of America. Each country is rostered to host the rally once during a twelve-year period. The Exchange is generally around 2 weeks in length and involves sight seeing, extra equestrian competition / activities and the Nations Cup. Accommodation varies from host country to host country and has involved motels, billeting and camping. The tour concludes with The Nations Cup, a two round show jumping competition with a jumping height of around 100cms.
The 2019 exchange is to be held in Hong Kong from 30th June - 13th July, 2019. The invitation is extended to teams of four riders, one chaperone and one coach.
The international teams will arrive in Hong Kong on 30th June. All the teams will stay toghether in hotel accomodation. From here they will meet new people, experience different cultures, different food and participate in friendly team competition. There will be a Kangaroo Cup Event (Dressage) which will consist of mixed teams. The Nations Cup (Shojumping) will be held on 11th July followed by the Farewell Dinner. Both competitions will be held at Beas River Equestrian Centre.
Hong Kong team members will be expected to stay with the rest of the teams in the arranged accomodation and participate in all the events and activities.
To qualify for consideration as a member of the HKPC team, you should:
- Be a paid up member of the HKPC
- Be capable and confident of jumping a showjumping course at 1m on unknown horses.
- Be a proficient rider and handler of unfamiliar horses.
- Have shown support for the HKPC through attending and volunteering at events.
- Have shown strong committment to giving back to the Pony Club
- Been an effective and responsible volunteer at events.
- Have strong Horse Management skills.
- Be 18 to 25 years of age as of January 1, 2019.
- Be a good ambassador for both their Pony Club and country and be able to fit into a team situation.
- Sign and adhere to a Code of Conduct.
- Be able to speak/respond on behalf of their team, if called upon to do so.
- Have a good basic knowledge of their own and the host Country, and be able to converse comfortably with peer and non-peer groups.
- Have a sound knowledge of the Pony Club movement – its origins, structure and operation in their home country.
- Have filled in the registration form accurately and thoughtfully.
The HKPC will cover the most of the costs of horse hire, accomodation, food and travel, however team members will be asked to contribute a small sum towards expenses.
If you are interested in being considered for the 2019 Inter-Pacific Team please register and fill in your details. Once we have put together a long list we will then contact you to let you know if you have made it to the short-list.